For Your Society

Fact-Check of the Day: Trump Misleadingly Says Construction Has Already Begun on His Border Wall

  • Respect (0%)
  • Funny (0%)
  • Disappointment (0%)
  • Anger (0%)
  • Stress (0%)
  • Whatever (0%)

Advertisement

Fact-Check of the Day

The Border Patrol has begun replacing old barriers with new barriers — which some call walls and others fencing. But construction on a 1,000-mile border wall has not begun.

May 11, 2018

What Was Said

“We have already begun construction on the wall.”

President Trump at a rally in Indiana on Thursday

The Facts

This is misleading.

During his campaign in 2016, Mr. Trump promised to construct a 1,000-mile-long border wall that would be paid for by Mexico.

Prototypes for the border wall were unveiled in late October, and Mr. Trump visited San Diego to view them in March. The prototypes have not been used to construct a border wall, nor has the wall been funded. However, construction has begun on a few projects that would replace old barriers with new barriers.

A White House spokesman cited projects in Santa Teresa, N.M., and Calexico, Calif., as evidence for Mr. Trump’s claim that construction on the wall had commenced.

According to Customs and Border Protection, the Santa Teresa project will replace 20 miles of vehicle barriers with a “bollard-style wall.”

The new barrier, a Border Patrol official said in a news conference, will not be based on the prototypes and will actually be the “same wall” as existing bollard barriers just a few miles away in Sunland Park, N.M., which Customs and Border Protection had previously called “fencing.”

In Calexico, the agency said it would replace 2.5 miles of a barrier made out of “recycled scraps of metal and old landing mat” with a 30-foot-high bollard-style “wall.” But local officials have characterized it as a long-planned local infrastructure project that “isn’t Trump’s wall.

Mr. Trump received nearly $1.6 billion in funding for border security in the spending bill he signed in late March. The spending bill specifies that the $1.6 billion can fund only “operationally effective designs deployed” before May 2017. This definition would disqualify building a wall based on the prototypes that were unveiled in October.

Linda Qiu is a fact-check reporter, based in Washington. She came to the Times in 2017 from the fact-checking service PolitiFact.@ylindaqiu

Advertisement


READ MORE @

Facts are under attack! Support Real Journalism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/us/politics/trump-misleadingly-says-construction-has-already-begun-on-his-border-wall.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

share this with your people

FY Society explores American society with original content and analysis, as well as through the lens of curated news and articles.

We are simply trying to tell a story. Our story, the story of America past and present–who we are and how we got here, and perhaps more importantly: where we are going. We have a whole lot more in store, however, so please consider helping us in that effort by visiting the FY Store, or with a donation via Patreon.

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT:

Leave a Reply

Close Menu